In a serious setback for the BJP weeks forward of the state meeting elections in Uttar Pradesh, a key minister together with three MLAs has give up the social gathering. Swami Prasad Maurya, a prime UP minister, and influential backward caste chief, has joined the Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Celebration. Listed below are 5 factors on why this can be a loss for the BJP:
- Swami Prasad Maurya is an OBC strongman from jap UP who served as UP’s Minister of labour, employment & coordination in Yogi Adityanath’s cupboard. His allegations of oppression of marginalised communities underneath the BJP will damage the social gathering within the essential state elections. “Regardless of a divergent ideology, I labored with dedication within the Yogi Adityanath cupboard. However due to the grave oppression of Dalits, OBCs, farmers, unemployed and small businessmen, I’m resigning,” he stated in his resignation letter.
- Non-Yadav OBCs had been essential to the BJP’s win within the state meeting in 2017. Mr Maurya’s defection to the Samajwadi Celebration might be a shot within the arm to Akhilesh Yadav who’s attempting to mission himself because the chief of all backward communities. It’s going to additionally damage the ruling social gathering that was banking on five-time MLA Mr Maurya to consolidate non-Yadav OBCs to tackle Yadav-dominated SP. In a warning to the BJP, Mr Maurya informed reporters, “What affect my exit can have on the BJP might be apparent after the 2022 meeting election.”
- Akhilesh Yadav has been actively wooing non-Yadav OBCs, who represent 35% of the OBC inhabitants within the state, to shed the picture of being partisan towards them. He has been attempting to sew collectively an alliance of smaller caste-based events just like the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), the Suheldev Bharatiya Samaj Celebration (SBSP), the Janwadi Socialist social gathering (JSP), the Mahan Dal, and others which have little state-wide affect. Mr Yadav has additionally resolved his dispute together with his uncle Shivpal Yadav who had managed to dent his prospects in many seats within the final meeting polls. Mr Maurya’s defection is a giant win for SP in its technique to consolidate OBCs.
- Former BJP ally and influential OBC chief O.P. Rajbhar’s Suheldev Bharatiya Samaj Celebration aligning with the Samajwadi Celebration was one other main enhance for Mr Yadav in his technique to consolidate a coalition of smaller single-caste based mostly events.
- Two OBC and one SC MLAs who had defected from the BSP to the BJP over the past state elections have additionally give up the social gathering after Mr Maurya’s resignation from the cupboard. Three-time MLA Roshan Lal (OBC), four-time MLA Bhagwati Sagar (SC), and first-time MLA Brijesh Prajapati (OBC) had been the others who give up the BJP in the present day.